More and more Americans are enjoying the versatility, security, convenience and the grandeur of visiting and touring the country with motorhomes, more popularly known as RV's.
According to a study conducted by the University of Michigan, 1 out of 12 American families own motorhomes, thus the increase of 7.8 percent of the numbers of such vehicles in the past four years. To stretch the statistics further, this means that seven million families or households have RV's.
So why is there an increase on the use of motorhomes? Post September 11 analysis reveals that people want to have more control of their trips and are opting to travel more by land than by air. Aside from this, they want to avoid airport hassles and traffic.
But more than these reasons, Americans want to enjoy more times with their families and to be in control of their travel schedules. And in these stressful times, going outdoors and communing with nature seem to be one of the solutions which can be greatly accomplished by motorhome traveling.
Motorhomes have become more comfortable and more luxurious since the release of the first RV. Some motorhomes nowadays, have complete upholstered furniture, state of the line appliances like microwaves, televisions and refrigerators. Other deluxe motorhomes provide features such as dining and living areas, queen beds, cabinets and storage plus a shower in the full-size bathroom.
Other motorhomes also became flashier with stereos and CD players installed in the vehicle and other enhanced comforts such as double door refrigerators and wooden tabletops. Moreover, they have also become efficient in terms of the space and materials they use for their construction.
Aside from these conveniences inside the motorhome, motorhome vacationing also became popular because of the improved campgrounds and fancy motorhome resorts. Some motorhome resorts offer luxurious amenities such as swimming pools and golf- courses. Fitness enters for the health conscious can also be found in such motorhome parks aside from computer centers. Aside from these, others also provide schedules for sports meets and dance activities.
Beyond, these perks and joys, however, traveling in a motorhome needs some planning especially on the activities you and your family want to accomplish on the trip. Aside from these, your motorhome should be equipped with the following essentials before you hit the road:
* bottle/can opener
* camera and film
* first-aid supplies
* fishing gear
* flashlights and lanterns
* folding chairs
* grill and fuel
* insect repellent
* nature field guides
* picnic basket
* road flares
* rope, cords, or wire
* shovel (small, folding type)
* sports equipment
* toilet paper
* tool kit
* trash bags
* water hose
Aside from these, families and individuals also have responsibilities in conserving energy and making a conscious effort of taking care of the environment while traveling on the road and while settling in camps. Here are some few tips you need to know also while traveling in your motorhome:
1. To decrease emissions and to conserve energy, keep the motorhome well tuned.
2. Make sure that the campsites where you camp are marked as "RV campsites".
3. While driving, make sure that you stick to the roads that the motorhome can travel into.
4. Try to avoid using disposable things such as cups, plates and spoons.
5. Make sure that the campfires you make are small and avoid putting stuff into the fire that will not burn such as rubber, foil, plastic etc. It is also important to note fire rules in motorhome campgrounds.
6. Avoid using supplies for cleaning that can be toxic. Look for ecologically friendly cleaning stuff.
7. If you are bringing your pets in your motorhome travel, and they are permitted in campgrounds, make sure that they are kept inside the motorhome or use stakes to tie them there. Barks can be damaged when they are tied in a tree.
8. Be considerate wit your neighbors when playing music or when playing computer games. Other campers may consider this as noise.
9. Always make sure that you recycle while traveling.
10. Make sure to leave all areas in the motorhome park clean and dispose your trash in properly designated areas in the park.